Wednesday, November 18, 2015

11/18/2015

I have a pretty straight view on immigration to the US. If you can get here, you can live here. I can’t honestly sit here and think that just because my ancestors chose to come here at some point in the past doesn’t really grant me the right to deny the same opportunity simply because their persecution happens in 2015 as opposed to being a potato famine in 1849.  Yes, I am aware that perhaps that sounds needlessly idealistic, but you can’t be an idealist without being idealistic, they sort of go hand in hand.

As everyone gets up in arms about the which states will or won’t accept Syrian refugees, I will offer that my opinion is that if they can get here, they should be allowed seek the freedom from whatever it they are running from (most likely certain death from people who are trying build a caliphate). I find hard to believe that we have become so entitled that we feel we get to keep this all to ourselves solely based on being born here.

The main concern of the selfish is that within the thousands of people who are seeking and yearning to be free there are those few who secretly harbor the will  to do random people harm. In the midst of the security hysteria, we lose sight of our greatest asset. My idealism lends me to believe that the very nature of what can be accomplished does more to deter potential threats to our nation than any isolationist security measures would provide.

I really don’t see how we can claim to have all this freedom, and yet seek to deny the very same things to those born beyond oceans.  

No comments:

Post a Comment